Miraval Austin is seeking a Farm Field Hand to join our team. The Field Hand is responsible for executing the daily functions needed to meet the farm’s agricultural production, aesthetic, and project goals. The field specialist will provide the bulk of the farm’s skilled operational and general labor needs. Responsibilities include: cultivating, planting, watering, fertilization, and weeding, harvesting, packing, animal care, record keeping, operation of machinery (heavy and small), construction, upkeep, and repairs of the farm. Cypress Creek Farm is a ten-acre operation created in 2012 to support Miraval Austin Resort and Spa. The farm hosts a progressive equine program, sustainable vegetable production farm, free range chicken coop, an apiary, and a medicinal herb garden. It utilizes permaculture practices to support the soil’s microbial life and demonstrate thoughtful stewardship.
The farm’s mission is to provide guests a unique and memorable connection to land and life force. Miraval’s farm guests enjoy classes, private consultations, and lectures six days a week. Profound personal and collective improvements are possible at the farm, where guests can be intimate with the living systems related to their food production and total wellbeing in a way that highlights the terroir of the Texas hill country. All of the produce grown is featured in the hotel’s farm-to-table restaurant, and the farm’s herbs are grown and crafted for the hotel’s world class proprietary spa services.
- Operate mechanical cultivation equipment including tractors and tractor-drawn implements
- Utilize long and short handled tools for bed preparation, transplanting, weed maintenance, etc.
- Apply field preparations for biodynamic growing strategies and fertilization
- Operate and repair irrigation systems for variable crops
- Plant crops, herbs, and perennials either directly or in seedling/transplantform
- Mix soil and seed transplants in the greenhouse
- Scout and communicate any disease, weed, or insect pressures to the Farm Operations Manager
- Harvest, sort, store, package, and prepare produce and medicinal herbs to specifications
- Propagate, prune, irrigate, train, harvest perennial crop and herbs
- Maintain farmscape areas (wildflower beds, apiary, food forests, etc.)
- Perform tasks related to poultry care, including daily feeding, quarterly coop cleaning, cleaning and sanitizing of water troughs, pest scouting, etc
- Advise Farm & Equine Coordinator when supplies
- Execute off property errands
- Complete building projects or improvements
- Occasionally assist Farm Facilitators in preparation of classes and programs
- Report issues that could adversely affect the guest experience or team safety to the Farm Operations Manager and/or the Farm & Equine Coordinator in a timely manner
- Participate in available training opportunities and apply learning and newly identified best practices where possible
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather conditions including heat, cold, wind, sun and dust for extended period of time
- Must be able to perform all tasks associated with farming including ability to lift, push and pull at least 50 lbs.
- Must have valid driver’s license
Education and/or Experience
- Agricultural production: 2+ years field experience preferred
- Sustainable mixed vegetable production: 1+ years field training preferred